JOIN THE REVOLUTION!

Welcome to "SUCCESSPATH SELLING SERVICE ORIENTED SELLING", a site designed to "Revolutionize Your Approach To Sales and Marketing" . Our goals are to offer ideas and resources that will help you make increasingly high levels of income by offering increasingly high levels of service. This site is for corporate sales and marketing professionals, small business owners who sell, and direct marketers. It is for anyone who is tired of the old, manipulative "me first" and "get all you can" methods. Servant sales people sell their products, services, and themselves with refreshing and sometimes radical "How Can I Serve You?" attitudes and strategies. It is our hope to offer new, contemporary, fresh approaches, integrated with timeless principles that will give your customers "WOW" Experiences". In the process we hope to lead you toward tremendous career success, satisfaction, and significance. Topics we cover include all parts of a sales presentation, time management, creativity, people skills, competition, attitude and more... all from our unique "Servant Selling" perspective.



Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Attitude Shaping and Shifting: Read Great Books

There are a handful of books that have profoundly shaped my perspectives, attitudes, and consequently the course of my life. Without a doubt, Norman Vincent Peale’s “The Power of Positive Thinking” was a huge book for me as was Robert Schuller’s “Move Ahead With Possibility Thinking”. Both were barrowed from my dad. When I read them around age 19 I had never considered the idea that you could improve your life by improving the quality of your thinking. In fact, I believed thoughts just came to me. It never occurred to me to introduce thoughts with intention or that those thoughts could impact my behavior, emotions, energy, or choices. Schools don’t teach this stuff.

A few years later I came across Zig Ziglar’s “See You At The Top”. This introduced me to the power of self-image and goal-setting. Zig also introduced me to power of audio recordings while you drive. I was so changed by his material that I got a job as a marketing rep for his company and went old to sell his books, tapes, and video programs for a year.

In the mid 1990’s I came across a book by Peter Senge, titled “The Fifth Discipline”. It is perhaps the most challenging book I ever read and it probably saved my career several times. In short, The Fifth Discipline is “Systems Thinking” which the book defines as “Seeing Wholes, Interrelationships, and Patterns of Change Rather Than Snap Shots”. It’s sprinkled with examples and principles like, “cause and effect are not closely related in time and space”, “faster is slower”, “small changes can produce big results–but the areas of highest leverage are the least obvious”, “the easy way out leads back in”, “the cure can be worse than the disease”, and “today’s problems come from yesterday’s solutions”. These ideas led me on what became a 15 year journey to effect change in one organization. Without this books influence I would have thrown up my hands, left, and been much poorer for it.

“In Search of Excellence” by Tom Peters and Bob Waterman had a huge influence on me. I have continued to listen and read Tom Peters over the years to great effect. I still go to his web site regularly for fresh inspiration. A lot of the Servant Selling ideas come from Peters because as much as any writer I know he really gets that successful business is really about serving customers and serving the employees who serve customers.

In sales and marketing, Al Ries and Jack Trout’s books have been a big influence. “Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind” and “Differentiate of Die” really taught me about the different ways to positively stand out in a potential customers mind. And Seth Godin’s “Purple Cow” books took the ideas of Ries and Trout and made them catchier and more memorable. Larry Wilson’s “Changing The Game: The New Way To Sell” had a lot of influence on me. “Conceptual Selling” and ‘Strategic Selling” by Robert B. Miller, Stephen E. Heiman, and Tad Tuleja have written the foundation for my Servant Selling philosophy as it applies to how to get face to face and what to do when you get there.

John Maxwell’s books have influenced my thinking on leadership greatly. A favorite is “Leading In 360”. Jim Collin's book "Good to Great" is a work I refer to often. I am a huge fan of the strengths movement. I enthusiastically endorse anything by Marcus Buckingham, especially “Now, Discover Your Strengths”, “Go, Use Your Strengths”, and “The One Thing You Need To Know”. It’s not a book, but his video “Trombone Player Wanted” is a must see. Tom Rath’s “Strength Finder 2.0 is excellent as is Howard Gardner’s ‘Frames of Mind” and Thomas Armstrong’s “Seven Kinds of Smart”. The book by Armstrong is a highly readable simplification of Gardner’s work.

Although I’m a Protestant, I have been hugely influenced by the books of a Jesuit Priest by the name of John Powell. I first received a couple of titles from a Catholic friend and went on to read everything he had published at the time. My favorites were “Unconditional Love” and “Fully Human, Fully Alive”. Francine Rivers book, “Redeeming Love” is my favorite in Christian Fiction.

I don’t read an enormous amount of fiction but I loved J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of The Rings” trilogy. I’m currently reading the C.S. Lewis Trilogy of “Out Of The Silent Plant”, “Perelandra”, and “That Hideous Strength” out loud at night with my wife. This is Science Fiction/Fantasy and is equally thought provoking and fun reading. My first Sci-Fi book was “Enders Game” by Orson Scott Card. I like the CIA spy stuff that Vince Flynn writes about his hero Mitch Rapp starting with “Separation of Power”. Katherine Neville’s “The Eight” was a fun mystery/adventure.

I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say I’ve owned over a thousand books in my lifetime. My library is smaller now than in the past but honorable mention should go to hundreds of authors. I feel if you get one good useable idea from a book it was worth the price. Books don’t have to be read cover to cover either. They can be scanned with great value.

No comments:

Comments On Coaching and Classes

The Purpose of this letter is to describe the benefits I enjoyed from my coaching experience with Dale Cobb. I had a very specific issue, which I needed help getting over the hump with. Our conversations were very helpful in keeping me on track and getting me to the finish line. I believe that Dale is a keen observer of the human condition and has the ability to reflect back an individuals thoughts and goals as one strives for success. I found the services offered by Dale to be timely and effective. In the future, I am sure I will be presented with challenges that require outside assistance. When that time comes,

I will not hesitate to call on Dale for his fresh bright and insightful guidance.


Thank You,
Joe Sexton
Managing Partner
CFR Executive Search
Chicago, Illinois


“Working with Dale has always been rewarding. Dale has always been on the leading edge developing new ways of marketing his products and services. Always willing to try new approaches and follow through... Always convincing.”

Fred Friday, Director of Operations Fundcraft Publishing
Memphis, Tennessee



"Dale has always impressed me with his integrity, marketing insights, compassion and follow through. He thinks outside the box, asks the questions that others fail to ask and has a real heart for training others to be the best they can be. You can count on Dale."

Tim Turner, Owner Turner Strategic
Atlanta, Georgia



“Dale is always the most prepared person in the room. He has the ability to listen and clarify the issue at hand. He is a creative, caring leader. He has always been a joy to work with.”


Beverly Sherman, Owner Creative Connections
Lansing, Michigan


I would like to take the opportunity to offer my recommendation for Dale Cobb. He has the remarkable ability to clearly listen to a problem, understand the issues and suggest a course of action that satisfies the needs of me and my clients. I cannot tell you how many times his advice was precisely what I needed to close a deal or carefully resolve a difficult situation. He is resourceful and creative in his teaching style. Over all he helped me to be more efficient and successful in my career.

Michael Ward

Sacramento, California


It has been an incredible experience for me having you as my coach. As a small business owner I have at times felt isolated and stuck in my own thinking. With your excellent coaching I have been able to expand not only my thinking about existing design practice but about the design and building industry and how I can enlarge my place in it.


Interior Designer
Carmel, California



Dale helped me with exploring perspectives, chunking them down, setting goals, action planning, and overcoming hurdles (professionally and personally). The coaching format has moved me from a dream to implementing an action plan.


Management Consultant
Greenbrae, California



I have found your coaching very helpful. I have been somewhat stuck in my career decisions, but with your understanding and focus I am now moving forward. I am now positive about my direction and the steps I want to take. The coaching has also helped my personal life. I thank you for being there for me now and in the future.

Retired Dentist
Meadow Vista, California


This is one of the most beneficial and rewarding classes I have attended. Thank You.


Comfortable casual feeling....Lots of laughter...Made classes fun and increased learning.


Everything was explained so clearly. I came away from the course having learned a great deal.


Very interesting, I've learned a lot... The material has given me a lot to work with.


I've enjoyed all the sessions and feel I received something from each session to help me be a better person.











Copyright Restrictions and Fair Use

Copyright 2008 Dale Cobb All Rights Reserved

Please feel free to print and use any of the posts for personal growth or for your sales team as long as you prominently display the source. Any attempt to resell the material is strictly prohibited.