JOIN THE REVOLUTION!

Welcome to "SUCCESSPATH SELLING SERVICE ORIENTED SELLING", a site designed to "Revolutionize Your Approach To Sales and Marketing" . Our goals are to offer ideas and resources that will help you make increasingly high levels of income by offering increasingly high levels of service. This site is for corporate sales and marketing professionals, small business owners who sell, and direct marketers. It is for anyone who is tired of the old, manipulative "me first" and "get all you can" methods. Servant sales people sell their products, services, and themselves with refreshing and sometimes radical "How Can I Serve You?" attitudes and strategies. It is our hope to offer new, contemporary, fresh approaches, integrated with timeless principles that will give your customers "WOW" Experiences". In the process we hope to lead you toward tremendous career success, satisfaction, and significance. Topics we cover include all parts of a sales presentation, time management, creativity, people skills, competition, attitude and more... all from our unique "Servant Selling" perspective.



Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Love In 360 - Part 2

Professional basketball is not my favorite sport but there are two players in the NBA I really love to watch. One is point guard Steve Nash who at the time of this writing plays for the Phoenix Suns. The other is Jason Kidd, who just moved from the New Jersey Nets to the Dallas Mavericks (Actually the deal is still in process according to the latest internet news this morning). They can score with the ball to be sure, but their assists are spectacular. Making sure the ball is dished around to the other players at just the right moment so the teammate can score is their specialty. Great sales people, like Steve Nash and Jason Kidd have great “whole court vision”. They thrill to make everyone look good. They take their shots and score their points, but they do so while feeding the whole team.

Even great scorers like Michael Jordan didn't become truly great players that led teams to championship seasons until a coach like Phil Jackson came along and molded Jordan and the team into an unselfish cohesive whole. With all of Jordan's greatness, for my money, the greatest player of all-time may still be Boston Celtic's Center Bill Russell. He and his team won 11 championships in 13 seasons. What was Russell's chief strength? His absolute unswerving focus on team play. He was arguably one of the greatest rebounders, outlet passers, and shot block defenders of all time. His scoring talent was huge, but he chose to use it only when it furthered the team goals.

In baseball there is a special play called the sacrifice bunt. If you follow baseball you already know what I’m taking about. It usually occurs with a runner on 1st base and no outs. The batter bunts the ball, hopefully about 9 feet out in front of home plate and to the right side forcing the first baseman to field the ball. It moves the runner from 1st base to 2nd base into “scoring position”. From second base the runner would then have a good chance of scoring on most singles to the outfield. The batter who sacrifices usually makes an out by design unless the defense mishandles the bunt. He sacrifices his batting average and the chance to be a big hero. You don’t hit home runs while bunting the ball. Great sales people sometimes sacrifice so someone else can be the hero.

In last week’s post I talked about Sales Love Cat, Patrick McCarthy, who went on to become Nordstrom’s all-time sales leader. Early in his career, he was very concerned about other floor salespeople taking his sale in the Men’s Department. It wasn’t until his manager, Patrick Kennedy convinced him to forget about who sold what and just focus on serving the customer that his sales really began to take off.

Moving on to Football, I will conclude by talking about the New England Patriots. Under team owner Robert Kraft and team coach Bill Belichick, they have arguably put together one of the most successful franchises in football history. There are many remarkable components of this team. But if you ask me, the core element is the commitment from top to bottom on team play and sacrifice. They don’t allow selfish players into the Patriot System unless they are completely convinced of the players willingness to change. Amazingly, this sacrifice extends to negotiations about money helping the Patriots to obtain the best players possible under the NFL Salary Cap System. Quarterback Tom Brady actually took a huge salary cut at the earning prime of his career in order help the Patriots get more good players under the cap.

Again, sacrifice for team goals is one mark of a truly great sales professional. Many sales managers, like football team owners and coaches take risks on the greedy, “me-first” Terrell Owens of the world. “I like to hire people who are money motivated” they say. There is nothing wrong with money motivation. But if money and greed is at the center of a sales person’s life, they will tear the team apart every time. This is a counter intuitive lesson that many never master.

No comments:

Comments On Coaching and Classes

The Purpose of this letter is to describe the benefits I enjoyed from my coaching experience with Dale Cobb. I had a very specific issue, which I needed help getting over the hump with. Our conversations were very helpful in keeping me on track and getting me to the finish line. I believe that Dale is a keen observer of the human condition and has the ability to reflect back an individuals thoughts and goals as one strives for success. I found the services offered by Dale to be timely and effective. In the future, I am sure I will be presented with challenges that require outside assistance. When that time comes,

I will not hesitate to call on Dale for his fresh bright and insightful guidance.


Thank You,
Joe Sexton
Managing Partner
CFR Executive Search
Chicago, Illinois


“Working with Dale has always been rewarding. Dale has always been on the leading edge developing new ways of marketing his products and services. Always willing to try new approaches and follow through... Always convincing.”

Fred Friday, Director of Operations Fundcraft Publishing
Memphis, Tennessee



"Dale has always impressed me with his integrity, marketing insights, compassion and follow through. He thinks outside the box, asks the questions that others fail to ask and has a real heart for training others to be the best they can be. You can count on Dale."

Tim Turner, Owner Turner Strategic
Atlanta, Georgia



“Dale is always the most prepared person in the room. He has the ability to listen and clarify the issue at hand. He is a creative, caring leader. He has always been a joy to work with.”


Beverly Sherman, Owner Creative Connections
Lansing, Michigan


I would like to take the opportunity to offer my recommendation for Dale Cobb. He has the remarkable ability to clearly listen to a problem, understand the issues and suggest a course of action that satisfies the needs of me and my clients. I cannot tell you how many times his advice was precisely what I needed to close a deal or carefully resolve a difficult situation. He is resourceful and creative in his teaching style. Over all he helped me to be more efficient and successful in my career.

Michael Ward

Sacramento, California


It has been an incredible experience for me having you as my coach. As a small business owner I have at times felt isolated and stuck in my own thinking. With your excellent coaching I have been able to expand not only my thinking about existing design practice but about the design and building industry and how I can enlarge my place in it.


Interior Designer
Carmel, California



Dale helped me with exploring perspectives, chunking them down, setting goals, action planning, and overcoming hurdles (professionally and personally). The coaching format has moved me from a dream to implementing an action plan.


Management Consultant
Greenbrae, California



I have found your coaching very helpful. I have been somewhat stuck in my career decisions, but with your understanding and focus I am now moving forward. I am now positive about my direction and the steps I want to take. The coaching has also helped my personal life. I thank you for being there for me now and in the future.

Retired Dentist
Meadow Vista, California


This is one of the most beneficial and rewarding classes I have attended. Thank You.


Comfortable casual feeling....Lots of laughter...Made classes fun and increased learning.


Everything was explained so clearly. I came away from the course having learned a great deal.


Very interesting, I've learned a lot... The material has given me a lot to work with.


I've enjoyed all the sessions and feel I received something from each session to help me be a better person.











Copyright Restrictions and Fair Use

Copyright 2008 Dale Cobb All Rights Reserved

Please feel free to print and use any of the posts for personal growth or for your sales team as long as you prominently display the source. Any attempt to resell the material is strictly prohibited.